Friday, November 5, 2010

The Stillness of the Woods

As I sit and consider the places that I have lived, my current residence and my favorite places, quite a few come to mind. I would not say that I am a demanding or hard to please person, however my comfort level in the past has been somewhat low. I am becoming more accustomed to being out of my comfort zone this is a good thing. The place I am the most at home maybe best explained by giving some examples about where I do not feel at home. I hate traffic, I can drive well, but it stresses me out. The constant rush of city and town life does nothing for me, some people thrive on it, I do not.

My favorite place to be, the one that makes me feel the most at home, is in the middle of the woods. I love everything about it. The stillness of the world when you are in the woods is breathtaking. To sit and hear the birds twittering and the breeze in the trees is an experience that I would love to experience on a daily basis. I enjoy the sound of gravel beneath my tires, and it’s even better if I’m in a big truck. The bounty that the earth provides is there for the taking. The wild berries, the wild rice, the ability to grow things in a patch of ground are a privilege. Even though animals can get in and wreak havoc on a garden, it’s a pleasure once the frustration is past. They are so clever and you can just see their little minds working to try to figure out how to get over the obstacles that are placed in their way. It’s another story with insects that invade a garden. I love going barefoot in the green grass and the feeling of warm rocks underneath my feet. The smell of fall and spring tempts me to go out and play in the forest. In the wintertime I love snow covered trees and the feeling that all is well in the world. The crispness in the air leaves me breathlessly content.

Eventually I would like to have a house in the woods; until I do, I have the privilege of going to my parents’ home in the woods. I suppose a large part of the reason I feel at home in the woods is because I that is where I was raised. My earliest memories are sitting out in the berry patch with my mom, climbing trees as tall as my house and making mud pies under the trees. The woods definitely hold my heart.

1 comment:

  1. hi KBT! i'll never forget my first apartment. It was on the second story and I hated it. I looked out and all there was was concrete. People would bang on my ceiling or floor when I vaccuummed and stare out the windows when I went anywhere. It seemed so lonely. Thats when I knew i wasn't a city girl either :-)
    A few years ago, I had to contract in the city and live there for 5 days at a time in a motel. I walked everywhere and went to the lake almost every day. That helped a lot. Just getting outside in the fresh air and being on the beach made all the difference. I found a lot of beautiful places around the city and activities to get involved in that kept me content. If i were you, i'd try the lake walk, beach, lake superior thing whenever you get a chance.
    I totally hear ya though. I hope you find yourself in the country Godspeed :-)

    ReplyDelete