Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Music

I absolutely love music. In fact you might say I'm addicted, unfortunately I am not as addicted as I once was, but nonetheless... Since I was twelve I have slowly but surely been building my music collection. I have a vast array of styles. I also have quite a conglomeration of favorites. I don't just get into the music I also like to know a little of the background of the artists that I listen to. I find that I can relate and be touched by music more when I know that I can trust the "heart" of the music. I try to keep up to date on the Christian music scene. Every so often something comes up that just tears at my heart. I hate when that happens. It actually occurred just this evening when I went to www.jesusfreakhideout.com to see what was new. I have been looking forward to the return of an artist only to find out that that particular artist has an issue in their life. I'm not going to say exactly what the issue is, you can find out for yourself if you really want to. I just have a few thoughts. Do we ever truly know where music is coming from? What issues are effecting the artist? It's not anyone's place to judge anyone, but what do you do when issues arise and involve music that you love? You don't want to open doors to the enemy. Yet where is the line that says this is acceptable and that isn't? I'm not really sure. This isn't the first time I've had to do some serious thinking on issues and controversies that are running rampant in our society and it won't be the last.

1 comment:

  1. you bring up some interesting conversation topics. Heres my OPINION / experience : When i was a teen i listened to secular music all the time and it wasn't healthy for me. I was very impressionable.
    As a young adult i totally separated myself from it. That was a good thing for me to do. For years all we've listened to is Christian.
    In these years I'm living in now, I've come to a different place in my life. I've discovered that having the attitude i will only listen to Christian music in any atmosphere causes me to isolate myself from the rest of the world. Walk into any mall, pizza joint, work area and music is playing thats not Christian. Go for a drive with a friend or relative and there is not necessarily Christian music that's playing. Having the attitude that you can only listen to Christian music becomes a bondange and we can easily become self righteous in it. That's just my opinion. To truly go into the world and become friends with unbelievers, I have had to become comfortable with the fact that other kinds of music exist and are not going to possess or oppress me with my brief encounters with it. In India, Hindu music and preaching is blasting from mega phones 24/7. Even missionaries must endure continual audio assault of other religions. Sorry for going on about it, but its something that i've had to learn to accept to live in if i'm going to live in the world and co-exist with others. Anyway, I chose to enjoy what i can when I'm around it and believe God is big enough to work it all out. He created music. Have a wonderful week KB!

    ReplyDelete